Monday, November 03, 2008
I've been thinking about my favorite actors and movies. I am currently watching "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" with Jimmy Stewart. I do really love him! That iconic voice. "Philadelphia Story" is my favorite of his movies. The scene where he is "drunk" and yelling at Cary Grant is classic. But I have mostly been thinking about how much I like Jack Haley. Who is Jack Haley? He was the Tin Man, amongst other characters. It's his eyes that get me. How loving and sweet they are. He also tied to so many good childhood memories. Not just for the Wizard of Oz, but also for "Rebbecca of Sunnybrook Farms".
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Things I learned this summer (some I never thought I'd know):
1. Cornstalks that have a yellow fluffy tip are for feed corn (for cows, goats, etc). White ones are sweet corn, for good eatin'!
2. Every single Mosquito fact I learned. ie; Female mosquitoes eat pollen, not just blood. For energy, so they can find their first blood meal. There are 50 different kinds in MN. ONLY 15 of those kinds bite us.
3. If you go into a canopy of trees and it's 89 degrees outside, it's probably 99 degrees inside.
4. You can tell when you're getting close to a coyote den by the strong smell of ammonia. (urine) It's really strong and gross!
5. When you work outside by yourself. You have lots of time to think. Sometimes too much. But it's a nice time to talk to God.
6. I can tan! Ha ha ha!
7. Deep Woods Off is the BEST way to keep the Skeeters away!
8. I really enjoy talking to "the public" and educating them.
9. Agates come in all different colors not just red. And they were made from lava bubbles. And they get their color from the other minerals where they are made. Lake Superior Agates are more burnt orange then red, because of the iron.
10. I AM stronger then I thought I was! Mentally & Physically!
Monday, August 25, 2008
R.I.P. Our Sweet Elvis Pigsley!
This morning Aaron found our sweet pig. We loved his crazy shaggy hair!! And will miss his piggy squeek! He is pictured here with his brother Carl Pigkens. They were hiding together from me while I cleaned Elvis' cage. Silly Piggies!
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Wednesday, June 04, 2008
I HEART Ron Weasley!
I had forgotten how much I love the character of Ron Weasley! I have been listening to the audio book 7 and hearing lines like (something like):"You did?" Hermione (in response to hearing Ron stunned a DeathEater in the face. His response is THE BEST : "Always a tone of surprise." I love that line. I love how clueless he is. How brave he is. How much he cares for his family. The best thing is how he unconditionally cares for Harry. Even when Harry doesn't deserve it. I get so excited when the movies show the "real" Ron Weasley. It happens maybe once a film that he gives a line or makes a face or another action & I think, "THAT'S Ron Wealey".
In all my excitement over Twilight, I had forgotten my favorite Literary character! Although Edward Cullen & Jacob Black come in close 3rd & 4th place. #2 Is held firmly by Fred & George Weasley.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Last Thursday after my co-worker & I had spent most of the day checking sites in P2; (population2)(that are not in the major populated areas we treat), we went to this site. How beautiful right? I thought so obviously. I love working outside. Although this AM was tough. Long weekend so I was sleepy & it was so cold that I just wanted to be in bed & under my heated blanket.
It turned into a pretty nice day though. This weather also make a certain kind of bug extra sleepy so they aren't really out. So it was a boring day. Although I found out that Apple Valley is going to become my area. So I get to treat the Zoo! Wahoo!
I love it!
Saturday, May 17, 2008
Twilight!(by Stephenie Meyer)
Oh my! Am I enjoying a new book series! I never thought I'd enjoy a book series the way I enjoy Harry Potter. But this series is a runner up! 3rd place is firmly held by Peter & The Starcatchers, by Dave Barry & Ridley Pearson.
First off I will address the fact that this is another Fantasy series. I AM a fantasy geek! But I DO know that Vampires & boys who fly are not real. (However, I do admit that there are people out there who believe that they are witches & wizards. I am NOT one of those people.)
If you have read the series', you know, that the world these authors have created are FICTIONAL. SO I don't want comments about how either or both (of H.P. & Twilight especially) are evil. I like them. Leave me alone.
Now to the good bits. I have been unable to put the book down! (Although I have been trying really hard to make sure that I am not ignoring my husband or reading when he is not distracted by something else. Usually he is in the shower, watching TV, or typing in his blog.)
A Girl falls in love with a boy named Edward. The twist is Edward is a vampire. And no, I did not just give away a huge plot point. This point is mentioned on the back cover of the book.
If you haven't read the series, I recommend it. Especially if you like Buffy & Angel. I heard about the series through my favorite podcast (Pottercast). I was skeptical at first. Is this a rip off of Joss Whedon? I sure hope not. But it isn't. The author has her own mythology and there is no Slayer. There are however Werewolves!
Well enough about that. If you trust my taste I say READ IT!! You can get it at the library! But be prepared to be on a waiting list!